Monday, March 2, 2009

In Studio with Madeleine McMillan


My good friend, Madeleine McMillan, is a singer, songwriter, and pianist in the SUNY Purchase Studio Composition program. I met her Freshman year in my required Songwriting I class. I was intimidated by her for a long time. She was from the Upper West Side, had long black hair with bangs, wore Doc Marten boots, and sat alone. However, our conservatory is only so big, and before I knew it, she was helping me order Doc Martens of my own from Zappos
I've been lucky enough to play drums for her since Spring 2008. She's also enlisted the services of two of the best groovesters at Purchase, Spencer Murphy on bass, and Rob Hokamp on guitar. I couldn't ask for more.
The following video is my first ever attempt at making a movie. I'm sure this will be somewhat obvious. The documented session was "drum day" which explains the relentless focus on me. Pictures to come.
By the way, I should mention that the recordings of Madeleine's voice and keyboard in the following video are temporary scratch takes, meant only to give the drummer (me) a road map of the song.



11 comments:

  1. this was quite enjoyable. like her sound. and the video had some nice moments showing what it's like in studio. more please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mattson! Thank you for posting the first comment that's not from a teacher or family member. I'm really glad you enjoyed it. Expect more soon. See you on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ben, yeah Phil Joly is the man haha. He's actually mentioned your name on a few occasions, you should swing by the studio some night when we are in there. I'm not sure we've actually met. Madeleine's stuff sounds nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You forgot to tell everyone that those were my horrible horrible scratch vocals!!!!!
    I also love that I am portrayed as a doc martens wearer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting stuff, and definitely enjoyable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. nitesh,
    Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed what you read. Thanks for stoppying by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome video Ben! I really like Madeleine's voice even though she says the recording was scratch vocals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Jessica. I really like her voice too; I think Madeleine may be a little hard on herself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. KooL Video! You should tag it "Purchase College" and I hope all is copyright at this point. I'm just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Ebony! Is labeling the same as tagging? Thank you for your advice.

    ReplyDelete